At a distance of 2 km from Devgad Beach, 31.5 km from Vijaydurg Fort, 55 km from Malvan and 103 km from Ratnagiri, Devgad Fort is located at Devgad in Sindhudurg district of Maharashtra. Devgad town got its name from this legendary fort.
Devgad Fort is situated at the confluence of Devgad Creek and Arabian Sea. Placed strategically on a narrow strip of land jutting into the Arabian Sea, Devgad Fort was constructed by Kanhoji Angre, the brave warrior of Konkan coast, in 1705 AD on a highland of the sea port of Devgad. It was used as a surveillance center. It was attacked by the British Naval Battalion in charge of Commander Walter Brown.
After changing many hands, this 120 acre fort finally came under the British in 1818 AD. Now, only a few strips of the fortifications remain. The walls and the structures of this fort are still intact and in good condition. Devgad Fort commands a panoramic view of the Arabian Sea as well as the casuarinas lining the long stretch of Devgad Beach. A Ganesh temple, three old cannons and a 15 m high Lighthouse are situated inside the fort and is worth a visit.
The fort offers a pleasant panoramic view of the harbor and the Arabian Sea. The best time to visit the fort is in the evenings. The enticing views of the sunset are an added attraction, making it a favourite picnic destination for the family and friends.
Lighthouse Timings: 4 PM to 5 PM.